We are all looking for quick fixes to be healthier. Sometimes, huge “healthy” life changes like spending 5 days a week at the gym or only eating chicken and veggies for every meal just aren’t realistic. And the good news is, sometimes all it takes is tiny changes to our everyday routines to vastly improve our health! Here are 10 things I do to stay healthy and energized. Make these 10 easy changes, and you’ll barely notice you’re doing them, but you’ll definitely notice the benefits!
1. Drink a glass of water first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything else. It hydrates you and primes your digestive tract for the day.
2. Always keep a couple healthy snacks in your bag. On your grocery trips buy lots of healthy snacks (eg. Granola bar, apple, cheese/cheese strings, nuts, dried fruit, granola bars, homemade energy bars). On your way out just grab a couple and you’ll be less tempted to buy expensive, junky snacks while you’re out.
3. Always take the stairs, or at least walk up the escalator. Doing this every day adds up! Make it a habit. It’s great if you take the metro everywhere!
4. Do a few quick exercises while waiting for your water to boil, brushing your teeth, or watching TV. Surprisingly, making a habit of doing these tiny workouts whenever you’re just waiting for something really adds up. You’ll notice a difference! Check out my top ten mini workouts here.
5. Try to incorporate at least a couple bites of fruits and veggies into every meal and snack, even if it’s just a couple of baby carrots. It can be as simple as adding a handful of spinach or kale to your smoothies. Once you start, you’ll see how good it makes you feel and you won’t want to stop! This is a great energy booster.
6. Everyday, drink a big glass of water with a spoonful of Metamucil in it, to add some dietary fibre to your diet. We eat so much processed food that most people don’t get nearly enough fibre! It’s great for your digestion, and you will notice a difference.
7. If you’re too busy to fit in lengthy workouts, focus on strengthening and toning exercises, not cardio! You will notice a difference in your body within a couple weeks with weight training, and your body will burn more calories naturally. Cardio is great but it does take a lot longer.
8. Get outside for at least 10 minutes a day. Most people don’t get enough vitamin D. Sunlight and fresh air also is very therapeutic, and makes you happier and more relaxed.
9. Sleep more, and smarter. Get your 8 hours, for real. Also, stop using your phone, computer, and tablet an hour before bedtime. Instead, have a bath or shower or read a book. You’ll get a better sleep, which will make you smarter, happier, and more beautiful.
10. Wherever you go, always bring a full water bottle with you. Everywhere. And use it.
Written by: Josefine Yacksmith